Have you read The Blood Race? If not, you came to the right place! (Author's August #1)


To kick off my new series Author's August I thought I'd wrap up The Blood Race Blog Tour with my own post full of flailing, aesthetics, and more! So, let's sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. ;) Don't forget to grab a slice of pizza on your way in. Refreshments are available as well. #helpyoself





Yo, so, like, um, what's The Blood Race?

Asdfghjkl- Dude. Where have you been? Nah, I'm just kidding. ;) So, I've had the utmost amazing privilege to read an ARC of Kate's debut novel thanks to she and her awesome sister, Abbie. AND LET ME JUST TELL YOU THAT IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME. I went in, practically knowing nothing about the book and then BAM. Mind = blown.
In case you're curious (because of course you are) here is the book's synopsis:


He’s spent his life running from who he is. She’s been trying to escape her past for 100 years…


Born with unexplainable abilities he struggles to control, college student Ion tries desperately to integrate into his new school and finally put his dark past behind him. But after making a serious enemy, which leads to an accidental rendezvous with the mysterious old man next door— and his hauntingly beautiful but troubled young protégée Hawk, Ion realizes his life will never be normal again.
Late one evening, Hawk drags him by the hand into a closet-turned-rabbit-hole to an extra dimension, and Ion finds himself stumbling involuntarily into a secret society of training for “anomalies,” teenagers with a special set of abilities. Just like him.
As they train to become Protectors of future Earth, battling each other as well as their own demons, both Ion and Hawk begin to realize that they are far more alike than they realized. Unsettlingly so.
When the Dimension is shaken by an unthinkable betrayal, will an ancient prophecy bring Hawk and Ion together—or will a deadly threat hidden in plain sight cost them both their powers… and their lives?
Pretty epic, amiright? So if you think that's cool, you should totally see who wrote it! Hint: She's a blogger. JUST LIKE US, YOU GUYS! You can check out her blog right here.

Meet the author, K.A. Emmons


When she’s not hermiting away in her colorfully-painted home office writing her next science fiction, passionate story-teller and adventurer Kate Emmons is probably on the road for a surf or hiking trip, listening to vinyls, or going for a power run. Emmons lives in the often-snowy hills of rugged Vermont with her husband and dog named Rocket.




I really don't want to spoil anything for you guys, because isn't it a lot more fun going into a book when you know absolutely nothing about it? OF COURSE! Because, brah. The ENDING. Oh my word. Hit me up if anyone wants to fangirl with meh. ALSO, JUST, YOU KNOW, READ THE BOOK SO WE CAN FANGIRL TOGETHER. Anywho. Where was I? Oh right! So, to avoid any possible spoilers, I thought it would be cool to get to know the author more instead! Don't worry, there aren't any personal questions... maybe. Read to find out! 
+++

Super duper exclusive, one-of-a-kind, extra cheese, with fries interview featuring K.A. Emmons herself


Hello, everyone! Thank you so much for joining us today. I hope you all grabbed your pizza slice on the way in- good job, Tim! Yes, yes, I see you have your slice, there's no need to wave- okay, um, many apologies to the lady in the back who just got most of Tim's cheese on her face. ANYWAYS! Ah ha, you all know why you're here so let's get to it! Everyone, let's have a round of applause for Kate!

*crowd cheers as Kate enters on stage*

So, Kate, is The Blood Race your first novel? Or are there other books your marvelous writing mind has conjured up?

There’s several others in the quiver! :) The Blood Race, however, has been the first of my fledglings to spread it’s wings, and I couldn’t be more stoked.

Which character from The Blood Race would you take out for breakfast and what would you have to eat?

Oooohh… this is such a fun question! I would have to say Fin on this one. And we would totally go to some little off-the-beaten track Irish breakfast/brunch place and have shortstacks with mandatory Vermont maple syrup which I would supply. He’s for sure that chat-over-coffee-for-hours-until-the-restaurant-is-empty type. AKA the best type.


How would you describe your writing process? Are you a plotter or a pantser?

110% pantser. Sometimes I’ll jot a couple notes in a sketchpad or on a sticky note, but I mostly just see the scene in my head like I was watching a movie, (although, I also feel like I’m in the main character’s shoes as well) and I just start writing what I see and feel in the most raw, honest way possible. I like the surprises that come with not plotting anything, and I love letting the characters and world building just develop organically.

The cover of your new book, The Blood Race, is glorious. Can you tell us a little bit on how it came to be?

Thank you so much! I had so much inspiration for the cover it was overwhelming. My sister helped me make a pinterest board for it so I could keep my thoughts better organized. (I’m not the best at Pinterest, meanwhile, she is the queen.)

I wanted to capture the essence of the book (Hawk, the birds, the dimension, the color scheme) in one image. And I’m honestly just a huge fan of double exposure art. I hired a professional designer in the UK, who is absolutely fabulous, and he really helped me bring my idea for the cover to life in ways I had only day-dreamed of during lunch.

Did you always foresee yourself writing sci-fi or have you tried other genres?

I actually never really thought about what genre’s I would want to write. I just write whatever story comes to my head, and it’s almost this afterthought: “huh… I guess this would be considered sci-fi, wouldn’t it?” haha. But for me that’s almost part of the mystique. I’ve always been open to trying new things and exploring new concepts within storytelling. I’ve written contemporary and literary fiction for quite a few years now, then in more recent years a sort of contemporary/spiritual/thriller(???) (yay for busting down those genre walls!)

The Blood Race is the first series adventure I’ve ever embarked on, and the first honest-to-goodness sci-fi/fantasy/thriller. And heck, it’s been a blast.


Can you describe The Blood Race in six words?

Hmm. In a phrase? You’re more powerful than you know.
In random selection? Cliff-jumping, wisdom, fireballs, prophecies, timetravel, food. XD I feel like I cheated and stretched the six-word thing just a little bit with those hyphens.

How did your survive editing? Are there any tips you can give to someone (like myself) who hasn’t gone through the editing process yet?


This is a great question. Someone please email me if they have the answer.

JK, JK, haha. But no, seriously. It’s tough! It really is. And there’s no getting around it. What really will get you through is if you keep reminding yourself WHY you did it. Why you wrote it.
This dude named Simon Sinek did a FABULOUS TED Talk on the topic of leadership, and over and over again he stated a phrase that stuck with my sister and I forever. We even quote it to each other.
“People don’t buy what you do, they buy WHY you do it.” What is your WHY? Because most of the time, for something as long-term as a novel, the reason why you’re doing it has a heck of a lot to do with passion. You are writing this story - you are making this idea that lived only in your head a BOOK for the world to see because it. means. something. You are passionate about this - you need this. This is a dream, this is something BIG. This is something the world needs… the gift you were meant to share.
So remind yourself of this fact on the dark days. The days when the words won’t flow and the scenes seem to fall flat. Remind yourself that the reason WHY is the very same reason you WON’T give up! Because you know what, in the end? When you’re holding that book in your hands, and people are sending you messages telling you that the story meant something to them? It will be so worth it.

On a practical note: moms make amazing beta readers. < excellent free tip.
And if you’re working with a professional editor, get samples first and don’t hand over the whole manuscript if they don’t feel like a good fit with your writing. It’s your work of art - make sure they’re working with YOUR voice, not theirs.

If you could have any song be The Blood Race's theme song, what would it be?

That’s a tough one! The first song that sprang to my head is the Generdyn Remix of Heroes by Zayde Wolf. And of course, my sister Abbiee’s own original song Back To Normal, which lyrically is The Blood Race TO A TEE.

Are you planning on writing a sequel to The Blood Race? If so, can you tell us what to expect?

Sequel is 100% on it’s way! In fact, I am hoping to finish it up today, I’m on the last few pages. (EEEEEEEE! *excited spaz*) The Blood Race is a series, so BE EXPECTING BOOK 2. Be expecting it because it is happening. BOOK 2 IS BUFFERING.



Is there a certain place you like to go to when you want to write? Can you describe this place to us?

My favorite place to write has always been my parents dining room table. The ceiling’s vaulted and the skylights let in the patches of the bright blue sky and sunshine. The sliding glass doors open up to a view of the lake, which has inspired me since I was just a kid.

Abbie and I have written our respective WIP’s at this table for yeeears - ever since we were just little neophytes with unbrushed hair and bad penmanship, and it’s still our favorite stomping ground to this day.

YOU ARE A PUBLISHED AUTHOR, HOW DOES IT FEEL????

It feels like that moment when you swoop over the top of the ferris wheel and your guts feel weightless, and your eyes are big, and you’re clutching the steel safety bar thingie and your palms are sweaty. It’s like AHHHHHH THIS IS SO EXCITING and also I am a little bit scared because the teenager running this ride looks sugar high.

No seriously, it’s amazing. It’s surreal. I often just find myself completely overwhelmed and humbled by all of the support readers have given me - like this interview right now for example. It’s like… it just makes me want to cry because this is what I’ve dreamed of since before I could remember: giving stories away and seeing them DO SOMETHING for somebody. Seeing that the stories I write mean something to someone. That’s a golden feeling.

Thank you so much for coming, Kate!

Kenzie, I cannot thank you enough for having me! You’re amazing, and SO IS THIS NEW SITE! (*confetti bombs*) IT’S ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. I FLAIL.

+++

Okay but like CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW CUTE KATE AND ABBIE'S SIBLINGSHIP IS?! They've been writing for YEARS together. Years. That's epic, dude.

That's all for now... You guys can go pick up a copy of The Blood Race HERE and follow Kate on the interweb:


Thank you so much for joining us on Paper Pizza. Until next time...
 
 xx Kenzie
 
 

 TALK TO ME!

Have you read The Blood Race? Are you a Ion girl/guy or a Fin girl/guy? Ion is amazing BUT, LIKE, FIN IS SO CUTE AND KIND AND GAHHH. Or maybe you're neither! Maybe you're just team Hawk because she's pretty awesome too. Let's chat, friend!

pea ees: THIS WAS MY FIRST TIME MAKING BOOK/CHARACTER AESTHETICS YOU GUYS. HOW DID I DO?? I'm actually pretty proud of them. ;) Which one if your favorite?
pea ees to dah pea ees: THE BLOOD RACE IS CURRENTLY FREE FOR THE WEEKEND SO, YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!! 



You Might Also Like

6 happy thoughts

  1. OH MY GOSH KENZIE I LOVED THIS POST SO MUCH!!! Your interview was fantastic, AND THOSE AESTHETICS OH MY GOODNESS. That's seriously your first time doing character aesthetics? THEY'RE GORGEOUS! And they fit the characters so perfectly oh my lord I'm flailing. DM ME BECAUSE WE NEED TO FANGIRL OVER THIS BOOK TOGETHER!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEEEEEP, THANK YOU SO MUCH, GRACE! AHHH, YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HAPPY YOUR COMMENT MADE ME! <3 Thank you so much for reading. Love you, girly!

      xx Kenzie

      Delete
  2. I have heard so much about this book! Makes me excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! It was so amazing. <3

      xx Kenzie

      Delete
  3. Nice blog! I'm new to your blog, but it is very well done.
    I bought The Blood Race and am looking forward to reading it. I have to finish up some library books first, unfortunately, since I had those first. But I can't wait to read it. It sounds so amazing.

    iviewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I am very glad you decided to check it out and I hope you enjoy your stay. ;)
      You're going to love it! <3 Thank you so much for reading!

      xx Kenzie

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message, it truly means a lot to me. I try my best to respond to each and every one of them.

xx Kenzie