"Should I?"

[ inspired by this photo ]

via 

  I pant. Ice cold air stinging my throat while my toes tingle from numbness. Running can only get me so far, I just hope by the end of time I will be wherever I'm running to. 
  The leaves crackle with every shot of wind, blowing the crinkled brown leaves onto the ground to shrivel up and die. My boots crunch beneath them as I run faster, feeling my muscles work beneath my pasty cold skin. I stumble every so often, feeling the urge to stop and lie down. But the noises from people in the far distance keeps me moving. 

  Keep moving.

  You can do this. I remind myself. 

  Right as I begin to run faster, I am forced to a sudden stop. A horse and man blocks my pathway. 

  "Watch it!" I yell without remark.  

  He climbs off of his horse and I step back. You can't trust anyone you just meet, not around here. I stare down at the sword resting in the scabbard from his belt, then back up to his face covered by the hood on his dark brown cape. 
  
  "Remove it." I demand.

  "Remove what?" he asks, clueless. 

  "The hood. Remove it, now."

  Slowly, he reaches for the hood of his cape. 

  "Wait," I stop him. "Take off the sword first."

  He sighs and removes his sword, laying it gently onto the cold ground, then reaching back up for his hood. I gasp when he reveals his face. 

  "It's you. It's really you." And before I know it, he throws his firm arms around me as I bury my face into his chest. 

  "I thought you were gone." I sniffle a tear and whisper into his shirt. 

  "I thought you were gone too, until now." he says and I try to help myself not cry. It's been so long since we were together, then I remember he left me. He left me alone to survive on my own with nothing but a coat to keep warm.  
 After a moment, he pulls back and cups his hands around my face.  "Come with me." 

  I think about all the reasons why I should go with him, there's too many to name. 

  "You left me. How do I know that you won't leave me again?" 

  He rests his forehead against mine and I feel the warmth of his breath tickle my lips. 

  "You have to trust me." 

  I glance over at his horse, waiting patiently for his owner. 

  Should I? 

  Should I really trust him?

  ~~~

Thank you all so much for 70 69 followers! :D I love you. <3 
Thanks for reading. <3

You Might Also Like

17 happy thoughts

  1. This is just as nearly as flawless as you are. Which, everyone knows, is saying a ton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DAWWW, thank you so much. <3 You're too awesome.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful <3 Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so... grrrr...! Suspenseful I guess. I Love/Hate it! It's the perfect fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you honestly have no idea how much that just meant to me. Thank you so much. <3

      Delete
  4. KENZIE. WHY U SO FLAWLESS <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. - heart stops - Before I die... there is something I want you to know. It is for you to pursue your writing career. I left a million dollars under the........ - dies -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UNDER THE WHAT?!?! UNDER THE WHAT?! =O CLIFFHANGER.. DON'T DIE. COME BACK!!!

      Delete
  6. Awesome Mackenzie! And no, don't trust him - it'd be more interesting (poor guy, or maybe not, maybe he's turned bad?). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, I like your thinking. ;) Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  7. This is for you: http://vanillastudies.blogspot.com/2013/10/favorites-i-xii-ramblings-i-vii.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must I even say how flawless this is? Because I don't even think I could scrape the surface of it's gorgeousness. How do you do this, Kenz? Because I just don't understand how you can be this amazing and still be a human being. My word. *sigh* Write a book. Please. I need mooooore. I need more Kenzie.

    xoxo
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, you are just killing me with happiness! Thank you so much Molly. That just meant the world to me. <3

      Love you! <3

      xoxo,
      Kenzie

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message, it truly means a lot to me. I try my best to respond to each and every one of them.

xx Kenzie