The Art Room { a short story }

 

~~~
I sit there by my easel, looking over my paint colors and the white canvas sitting in front of my eyes. Nothing touched. Everything blank. I take a paint brush one size smaller than the biggest and dip it in the nearest color, orange.  I glide my brush along the top of the canvas. ehh... Not quite what I wanted. I take the canvas down and replace it with another. I sit there, wondering if he is looking. Ever since the day I met those blue eyes I could never get him out of my mind. I wonder what he is painting, I see his brush move in different directions. He has always been the best in the class, I admired that. And when he talked, happiness filled the room faster than a blink of an eye. I bite down on my lip, hard. I can’t think about him in that way, not that there is a problem with it, it’s just he couldn’t possibly have the same feelings for me as I do for him.
I stare at the canvas again. Nothing. Why is it so hard for me to paint today?
After a while, I look up at the clock. Thirty minutes has passed and class is almost over. I already see students exiting the room. I look over behind me and see him talking to Ms. Cassandra. Every now and then I see their eyes glance across the room, at me. Quickly, I turn back around to my easel and empty canvas, hoping they didn’t see me staring. I pretend to be busy looking over my paint colors, not trying to listen in on their conversation.
I feel a hand brush the top of my shoulder. Turning around, I find myself looking into those ocean blue eyes and I feel my heart sink into the pit of my stomach.
“Hey.” he smiles and takes the seat next to mine. I look around the room and find no one, not even Ms. Cassandra.
“Hi,“ I manage to say with a smile, trying not to make eye contact so I won’t have to get lost in those eyes again.
“You know,“ he holds out his hand for my paint brush. “May I?“ I nod and hand him the brush.
“Sometimes when I’m stuck,“ he dips the brush in the red paint. “I dig deep into my thoughts and try to paint something from there.“
“How do you know I’m stuck?“ I smirk, playfully.
“You’ve been staring at a white canvas for the past half hour, I know when someone is stuck.“ and he is right, I am stuck. But not in the same way he thinks I am.
“Sometimes,“ he begins to make a curved line in a corner on the canvas. “You just have to find a feeling,“ he makes another curve. “and let it out.“ And that’s when I see it, a heart. But he isn’t finished, yet. Inside the heart he writes a message, and that’s when I’m staring at the red letters with wide eyes that spell out: I like you.
I look up at him, stunned and speechless. I search his eyes and that is when he reaches his hand out toward my cheek. “a lot.“ Gently, I feel his lips brush against mine and I close my eyes, taking in every bit of this moment. If this was a dream, I hope I never wake.
I feel himself pull away too soon. “I, um, guess I'll see you later then.“ He slowly stands and turns to leave.
“ I like you too. “ I say, a little too quickly.  “ A lot. “
I see his cheeks turn a light shade of pink. And with a smile, he leaves the room.

I sit there, alone, taking in the scent of paint, thoughts, feelings, and love.

~~~

hope you liked my rather short story. :)

let me know what you think!

20 comments:

  1. Kenz... Kenz.... this was amazing! :) I'm serious! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much Danielle! :) it means a lot to me.

      thanks so much for reading. <3

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  2. -_- *crosses arms* Really Kenz? REALLY?

    "Oh I'm not a good writer. My words look like poo compared to yours. Blah, blah, blah." You seriously cannot tell me how bad your writing is because look. at. that. That's beautiful. And if anyone--even yourself--has the nerve to say otherwise...well, they're gonna get an earful from me. Capisce? Capisce.

    You really need to stop being flawless. It hurts. Like, a lot. -_-

    Alright, rant/awko taco comment over. •-•

    your shocked and outdone writer,
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Rosie, I can't tell you how many times I read and re-read your comment, AND smiled every time. <3 Thank you so much, what you said up there means the world to me. YOU mean the world to me. :) But with all honesty, YOU are still FAR more talented at writing than I'll ever be. I have improved, but mainly because I've been reading your writings the past few months. ;)

      again, thank you so much. I LOVE YOU!!! <3

      ...I was fangirling when I saw you read my short story... •-•

      YOU ARE THE BEST
      xoxo
      Kenz

      Delete
  3. Your writing is amazing! And yes, blue eyes are unbelievably attractive. -la sigh and giggle-

    I'M SO HUNGRY {sorry. It's like the fact of the day or something, I just thought you should know}.

    ~Madeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you oh so much Madeline! :) <3 <3 <3

      OHMYGOSH ME TOO! And thank you for keeping updated on that. ;)

      I'm so glad you enjoyed my short story. :)

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, this is amazing! Pure talent right here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I don't know about that. ;) Thank you so very much, Jess! <3 That means so much to me.

      I'm glad you liked it.

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  5. FLAWLESS. Srsly Kenzie, stop being so flawless; it makes me look like nothing >.<

    You need to publish this, no joke. <3

    xx emma || http://emmakate101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thank you Emma! XD You are way too sweet... thank you so much. <3

      xoxo
      Kenzie

      Delete
  6. I love to paint and love romance stories! This is everytyhing I love. You should write more to this. I WANNA SEE WHAT HAPPENES! Wonderful :) I bet Josh would love this. He would mary you in a heart beat if he read this!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y-you want more? =O Awwwwww, thank you so so so much! OHMYGOSH, your comment needs an award. No joke. You NEED an award just for being awesome. <3

      thank you for reading! :)

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, that was so cute!! I love dit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, thank you! :) I'm so glad! <3

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  8. oh my . . . #speechlessness #perfectness <3

    xoxo,
    jessie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thank you Jessie, I am so so glad you liked it! <3 <3 <3

      thanks so much for reading! :)

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  9. This. was. amazing. I have no other words.
    <3
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much Sarah! <3

      I'm so happy you enjoyed it! :)

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  10. OH my word. I just now saw this and... Kenz, you are a absolutely fabulous writer, I can't write, at all. This is SO beautiful. asdfghjkl;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwhhhh! Thank you Molly! :D That means so much to me. I am so thrilled you read it and enjoyed it as well. <3

      keep being epic my sparkly unicorn friend <3

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete

I try my best to reply to all my comments, so please leave me a message!

Stay nice. Stay sweet. xx

Scroll to Top

I love you, Kenzie. -Rosie

Numbered Pages