"Where to?"


[ photo via Pinterest ] 

"Where to?" the man in the yellow cab asked me as I climbed inside, out of the pouring rain. 

"Uh..." I couldn't think of a name, so I replied with the first one that came to mind. 

"That's all the way over on the other side of town, are you sure you're suppose to be traveling this far alone, ma'am?" 

I nodded in response, not daring to look him in the eye. 

"Okay..." he sighed unsurely and started the car. 

As the car gradually started moving, I combed my fingers through my wet hair. How did it get so knotted? 

"Do you have family on this side of town?" the cab driver asked me after a few moments.

"Um, yeah..."  I managed to say and he nodded in response. 

I turned my head and gazed out the window. Raindrops smashed against the glass as I pressed my hand to it. 

Where will I go? 

What will happen next? 

 For most of the ride, the cab driver kept quiet. I didn't mind, silence was always my favorite. Even though I haven't had much of it these past years. There was something about quietness that I enjoyed. Something that made me feel so... alive. 
I felt the stone from underneath the tires as the car drove up the wet gravel path. The sky still owned its dark gray clouds, but the rain somewhat lightened up. A few raindrops sprinkled onto my cheeks as the cab driver--whose name I do not know--rolled down the passenger side's window. The grass was still green, but brown patches covered the spots between each headstone. Every once in a while you could catch a glimpse of color from the flowers placed by a spot where someone's loved one now lays, resting in peace.

"Here you go, ma'am." the cab driver said, stopping the car. 

I weakly smiled a thanks, then remembered something.

"Oh, here." I dug through my tattered change purse. 

ten... five... fifteen...

"It's okay. This one's on me." I looked up and saw the cab driver glancing at me through his rearview mirror.

"Are you sure? I'm just a penny short--" he waved me off before I could continue. 

I smiled and stepped out of the car. 

"I hope you find what you're looking for." the man said before driving off. 

Then he was gone, in a matter of seconds. I wondered what his life was like. Did he have a family he went home to every night? Or did he live alone, in peaceful fright? Maybe he traveled, and this was only a temporary job?
I shrugged off the thoughts and started up the gravel path, leading to a tree on the hill. I must hurry before the rain comes back, because I know it will. It always does. 
There were a few black crows on the tree at the top of the hill. If it were any other day, I would have scared them away. But not today.
 I knelt down next to the smallest stone at the top of the hill, then reached inside my pocket for a small token that I've been carrying around for who knows how long. 
Gently, I placed it onto the stone and studied the angel imprinted on the small token. She looked happy and graceful. Something I could never be. 
After a few silent moments, I spoke.
 "I should have forgiven you, but I didn't and I'm sorry." 

Silence. 

"I guess, what I wanted to say was that... I forgive you. I will always forgive you. I was never upset with you, I was upset with... myself. " 

More silence. 

"I get it, you're mad at me. And I know that I haven't been here in a while, I should've come sooner." 

I looked down. 

"I just couldn't." I could feel the tears forming into my eyes as I tried to wipe them away. But they came anyways. 

"I couldn't find the strength to come again, not after what happened." I sniffled and quickly wiped my cheeks. 
Everything was quiet for a little. It was like the whole world froze in time. As if I was the only being left. Alone. 
There was a crack of thunder in the distance, then I knew it was my time to go. I sighed and stood up, leaving the token in its place. 
I started back down the gravel roadway, but turned around one last time. 

"I'm sorry." I whispered softy. 



---

TA DA! I finally posted a short story\scene. It's been a while since I last did one. :P Did you like it? Was it dramatic enough? Too dramatic? Okay, well... I hope you liked it. :} I apologize for any mistakes. 





You Might Also Like

13 happy thoughts

  1. GUURRRRLLLL, drama and sugar are two of the best things in the world.
    And while your story didn't have much sugar ;) there was just enough drama.
    Okay love. That's my piece of cake {SUGAR}.

    madeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww!!! Your comment made me so happy. :} Thank you! and Thank you for reading. <3

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  2. Wonderful Mackenzie, awesome job! <3 I love your short stories, and this one in particular...it just feels so real.
    Oh, and up near the top you said about the girl that 'silence was her favorite', and it just reminded me of this...I guess you could call it an essay: http://www.rabbitroom.com/2013/08/this-is-for-all-the-lonely-writers/ but it's wonderful and if you have the time you should definitely read it!
    xox
    sw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWWWWWW!!! Thank you so much Sarah, that made my day. <3 And thank you for the link, I will absolutely check it out! :)

      thanks for reading. <3

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  3. Omigoodness. You are so talented. Every time you post, I am blown away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dawww, shucks. Thank you Kennedy, that means so much to me. :) <3

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  4. Holy--*EXPLODES* <-- and yeah, that's pretty much it. •-•

    Flawless as ever my dear. :)

    ..stawph being so amazing. *grumbles* it's not fair... -_-

    I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

    xoxo,
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoa... •-• Dude, how do you bold your letters? O.o

      eh, not really... but thank you darling. <3 *kiss kiss, hug hug*

      sorreh girly, but I ain't amazing. •-•

      I LOVE YOU SO MUCH MORE! <3

      xoxo,
      Kenz

      Delete
  5. http://storytellerofwestoncounty.blogspot.com/2013/08/elegant-blogger-award-and-interviews.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I nominated you too, Anna nominated me and i nominated you but Anna also nominated you. ^-^
    http://livelaughemma.blogspot.com/2013/08/elegant-blog-say-what.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very dramatic!! I totally love it!!! *elisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elisa! :) <3

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message, it truly means a lot to me. I try my best to respond to each and every one of them.

xx Kenzie