Courage { a short story }


[ story inspired by this photo ]


"Dear father, oh how I wish so badly you could be here." 

The words flow across the paper and as I continue to write, there's a knock at the door. I look over my shoulder, and see two shadows coming from behind the closed door. I quietly shut the pages of my journal together, not daring to wake the little child sound asleep in bed. Picking up a candle, I make my way to the door. 
Pound.
Pound.
"I'm coming, I'm coming." I fasten my pace and quickly unlatch the door's lock. 
Opening the door, two big men storm inside. Moving furniture, and throwing books around, tearing the room apart. I try my best the hold my anger in. "Is there something you need to find? Or perhaps you could take your nonsense business elsewhere." 

"Where is it?" The biggest man turns toward me. "Show us where it is!" He demands. 

"Where is what?" I ask, confuse.

I see him roll his eyes in frustration. "Don't play stupid, show us where it is... or else." 

"O-or else what?" 

I follow his eyes toward the bed, where the child--Elizabeth, who is now awake--sits. And a sudden thought rushes to my mind. 

"No! Not Elizabeth!" I rush to the bed, but the second man makes it just before me. He grabs hold of the child's small arm. Tears streaming down her cheeks, Elizabeth cries out. "No!"

 Without thinking, I throw my body in front of her's. "Take me!" The words rush out of my mouth before I can realize what I have done. "Take me." The men look at each other. "Just please, don't hurt her." I grab Elizabeth's hand and gently squeeze it. "Please..." I say one last time, more softly. 

The two men nod, and helps me onto my feet. Their hands still hold my arms. "I can walk on my own." Hesitantly, they remove their hands and gesture me out of the room. 

Right before exiting the room, Elizabeth runs up to me and clings onto my leg, "Don't leave!" she cries.

 I bend down beside her and take both of her hands in mine. "It's going to be okay. Everything will be okay." I lean in and press my lips to her forehead. I can feel the tears swelling into my eyes and I know I have to leave before she sees. 
The two men push me out the door before I could say one last goodbye. Maybe it was a good thing... I couldn't bare to see those sparkling blue eyes again. But I know I've done the right thing. At least I hope so. 
Now, I let the tears free, not caring if the men standing on either side see me. We walk up the a horse and carriage and the biggest man pushes me inside. 

"Keep an eye on her, we don't want her getting away like last time." Last time? What did he mean by that? 
The second man climbs inside and sits across from me. I let my gaze study on my hands, until I realize he's staring at me. I look up and he holds out a tattered piece of fabric. Without a word I take it and wipe my cheeks softly. 

"You're strong." I hear him speak quietly, probably not wanting the other man to hear him. 

"I-I'm what?" I reply, shock to hear his compliment.

"You have courage, therefore you are strong." 

I don't know what to say, so instead I hand him back the handkerchief and stare out the window. I try not to let my mind wonder, instead I keep my thoughts clear and focus on the world. 

Where am I going?

What will they do?

How will I get away?

I close my eyes and soon drift off to sleep.  



where are they taking her? what were they looking for?

---
How did you like it? I know, its not very good and there must be quite a few mistakes but I hope you enjoyed it. :) 
Before I go, I just want to thank you all for 46 followers. I never thought I would get this many, since I only started this blog in spring. So, thank you all for everything. I really appreciate it. <3 

have a beautiful day. :) 





20 comments:

  1. another amazing story. :) haha i read the dialogue in a british accent for some reason, it just had that sort of feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, thank you Priya! Haha, actually I may have wrote it while speaking in a british accent. O_o I can't remember... oh how I love those accents. <3

      thank you for reading! :)

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  2. I love it. <3
    How do you amaze me every time you write?
    You are amazing. :)
    Xox. Kayla
    aviddream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, thank you Kayla! <3 I'm so glad you liked it, even though there are probably countless of mistakes. :P

      again, thank you so much. <3

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  3. perfect. inspiring. can't get enough of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww shucks, thank you Rachel! :)

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  4. le me: reads Priya's comment before reading the story

    le me: *miscievous eyes* British accent, eh? Let's do it.

    le me: (reading courage -- mostly all the way in a British accent). Whoaaaa. This, this is...amazing.

    le me: (finishes) No. You did not just end there. PLEASE WRITE MORE IT WAS EPIC AND BEAUITFUL AND GAVE ME THE FEELS AND I AM A FANGIRL OF IT ... AND YOU.

    le me: (reads:) "I know, its not very good" thinks, "If I was drinking something, it would've been spluttered all over the keyboard...." So I'm really glad I wasn't. All for because it was BEYOND VERY GOOD! I am not lying in the least, Kepic darlin'.

    You're hurting me. It's all too flawless. But never apologize, because without the pain half of the grace of the words is lost.

    xxLeslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhh...asdfghjklasdfghjkl!! Thank you Les, you are just too amazing for words. I cannot stop smiling. Gah, what do I say? Just thank you. thank you, thank you, thank YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome x1000000000 ;)

      Delete
  5. *love* I second what Leslie said. I'm a fangirl of you. And your stories. And your amazingness. Because you're plenty amazing. And I like cookies. XD

    xoxo
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kenzie, how on Earth do you do it, what makes you so amazing, how in the world do you continue to write the most amazing stories I've ever read... And yet still stay so impossibly frustratingly humble!? Though I must say, that was torture. You did not just end it, you did NOT JUST END IT! You better write more of this, Kenz, or your fangirls will be after you! You're as bad as the authors we call evil daily, you are as much of an evil mastermind as they are, do you enjoy watching us squirm? Love you, Kenzie, thank you for being amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, how does she do it??! Molly, you're amazing. How you summed up Kenz and the feelings I think we all got from reading that story. Whoa. *thumbs up* Yes, Kenz, thanks ever so much for being amazing. We all love you. <3

      Delete
    2. Ah! You guys are KILLING ME!!!

      Thank you Molly, your words mean soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much to me. Just thank you... *sniffles* oh gosh... here come the water works. give me a moment please.

      And as for you, Leslie... You are just killing me over here with kindness! I don't even know what to say, my words are all tangled up.


      Thank you both so much... what would I ever do without your thoughtful encouragement?

      I love you. <3


      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete
    3. You said it perfectly. I know how you feel... sortof. <3

      Delete
  7. Kenz! This is great. Will you please make a part two so we can know where she is going? I love this and I hope you can make another part. I could read this over and over. You know what? I was imagining that this was a movie it was that good. Don't ever stop writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you oh so much Aimee. <3 I wasn't going to continue it, but I am sorta thinking about it now that I've read all your comments... But I will have to see, no promises. :)

      again, thank you so so much. <3 I'm super happy that you enjoyed it.

      Delete
    2. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!zkgjhr;lvubapriouesiugvbsep9iu5hg

      Delete
  8. wow, this is really good! so much suspense. will you update us on this story? xx | Natalia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you. I'm glad you liked it. And like I said above, I am still thinking about it. I will be sure to let you all know if I do continue. :)

      thank you for reading. <3

      xoxo
      Mackenzie

      Delete

I try my best to reply to all my comments, so please leave me a message!

Stay nice. Stay sweet. xx

Scroll to Top

I love you, Kenzie. -Rosie

Numbered Pages